function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike_EMike_E 

Is there a way to initiate a workflow rule on an object if a formula value changes

I have three objects.  Object A and Object B are Masters to Object C in a master detail relationship.  I need to create a rollup summary in Object A based on a Formula Field (FF1) in Object C.  The problem is that the Formula Field in Object C has a reference to Object B.  Thus, the formula field is not available to aggregate because of the cross object reference.  I thought I had come up with a work around and that was to create another field (N2) in Object C that I wrote the value of the FF1 into using a field update workflow.  However, I need it to update N2 when the value in the referenced field in Object B is updated (of course there is a Formula field in Object C that is linked to the refered field in Object B).  The problem that I have now encountered is that when B changes, even though C has a reference to it, the record in C isn't actually edited so the workflow does not initiate.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this?  I'm not literate enough in APEX to write the code to do this.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Mike my friend, m kinda lost in ur post :D

As far as i know, formula field update, cannot trigger a workflow rule and neither a trigger!

Cool_D

All Answers

Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Mike my friend, m kinda lost in ur post :D

As far as i know, formula field update, cannot trigger a workflow rule and neither a trigger!

Cool_D

This was selected as the best answer
RobotiRoboti

Hi Cool, 

We have similar issue. We have all the formula fields in a custom object which is based on standard object Opportunity. When Opprtunity is updated, all the formula fields which reference the Opportunity, are also updated in our custom object.

But since these are formula fields, we are not able to fire our workflow rule on the custom object.

What can we do in this case?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards