function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WrogWrogWrogWrog 

Why can't I synchronise reports in Eclipse with the Sandbox?

Just when I thought I had got my head round Eclipse, editing metadata and deploying objects, tabs etc from sandbox to live environment, I'm stopped dead in my tracks.

If I click on most of the folders under the "src" node in Eclipse, I can create a "new...", except for a few exceptions such as Layouts and emails. However, at least I can see the layouts on my sandbox, waiting to be deployed to Live.

The complete exception is my reports folder, which only lists (and synchronizes with) the live system. I cannot see any of the reports I've created in the sandbox, nor the new folders there. What I CAN see is the stuff on Live. Isn't this back to front? I'm currently faced with deploying the hard way by replication of the work from sandbox to live - ouch.

Any suggestions as to how I can get Reports folder in src to look in the right place?

Thanks

Roger
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JonPJonP
Roger,

A Force.com project in the IDE can be associated to one and only one "home organization."  It cannot show components from both your Sandbox and your production organizations in the same project.  So if you're seeing reports that are only in your production organization, you should check your project properties to confirm your project is really associated with the organization you think it is.  Or, just create a new project.

Once you have a project that you're certain is set up correctly, you can use the Force.com > Add/Remove Metadata Components dialog to select reports and report folders to download into your project.

Note that Personal Folders and the reports they contain are not available in the Metadata API or the Force.com IDE.  To download those reports, you must move them to a public report folder.

Finally, just to make sure you understand how the Force.com IDE is intended to be used when you have both a production and a sandbox organization: You should create your Force.com projects against your Sandbox organization, not against production, and then you should use the Force.com > Deploy to Server wizard to migrate changes from your project to your production organization.  (Copying-and-pasting files from one Force.com project to another is NOT the recommended or supported way of deploying components between organizations, in case you have been trying to do it that way.  The Deploy to Server wizard is far, far easier.)

Hope this helps.

Jon
salesforce.com Product Manager