function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFHackSFHack 

Eclipse IDE - Metadata Components

I've just installed the Eclipse IDE with the Force.com plugin on a Mac and it's not behaving the way it did in Windows.  On my Windows machine I had two Force.com projects, one for my development sandbox and one for my production org.  I had selected all of the same metadata components in both projects and would use WinDiff to review all of the differences between the two organizations.  Now, on my Mac, a large number of the metadata objects aren't available to add to my production project.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Thanks,

Allen

The components that I can select in the dev sandbox project that I can't select in the production project are:

email
homepagecomponents
homepagelayouts
layouts
letterhead
objects - standard
profiles
reports
reporttypes
scontrols
staticresources
workflows

JonPJonP

There should be no difference.  I use the IDE on a Mac all the time.  Is there anything in the log?  (Help > Show Force.com IDE Log)

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

SFHackSFHack

Many messages in the error log.  It looks like the first is:

Unable to load document: /Users/.../packageCache.xml (No such file or directory)

Then for each of several different objects:

Unable to get component for id 'CustomLabel': Unable to get bean for id 'CustomLabel'(Open log file for full message and/or stacktrace)

JonPJonP

Any log messages with "ERROR" at the beginning?  You can ignore most WARN-level messages.  (We probably need to make the log output a bit less chatty.)

Thanks,

Jon

SFHackSFHack

No, no errors.  The messages I posted are about all that're there except a few warnings that are obviously informational.

I even deleted and recreated the project and the result was the same.

JonPJonP
Just to eliminate an unlikely possibility, you have a profile with full admin rights in production (customize application, view all data, and modify all data)?
SFHackSFHack
Yes, I am the system administrator.
JonPJonP

Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you, especially since it works correctly on Windows and on Mac/Sandbox.

Can you open a support case on this issue?

tibutibu
I am having the same issue with Eclipse on my Mac. Let me know if you find a solution.
SFHackSFHack
I've opened a support case.  I'll post the answer here.
JonPJonP

What version of Eclipse are you using?  The Force.com IDE currently does not support Eclipse 3.4 (though that's coming in the Summer '09 release).  The latest currently-supported version is Eclipse 3.3.2.

SFHackSFHack
I have version 3.3.2.
tibutibu

Are you using the version 15.0.1.2009 of the force.com IDE?

tibutibu

I just set up the same version of Eclipse (3.3.2) on a MAC and a PC and had the same problem. But users with  15.0.0.2009x don't seem to have this issue.

Is there a way to reinstall with 15.0.1.2009x?

SFHackSFHack
I have version 15.0.1.2009.  I installed today.
tibutibu

I think that the problem might be with 15.0.1.2009 not eclipse or that you are on a MAC.

SomeshSomesh

We're looking into the issue. 

As a workaround, you could manually edit package.xml in your project and refresh from server to get the components you want in the project. 

trevorcgibsontrevorcgibson
Just wanted to let you know that I'm having the same issue with the most current release of the Force.com IDE.
JonPJonP
We have been able to reproduce this issue and we're working on a fix.  In the meantime, we recommended anyone experiencing this issue to use 15.0.0 instead of 15.0.1.
Not sure how to get the 15.0 version of the package.  Can you please let me know how to do so?
JonPJonP
If you go to the same update site URL, but uncheck "only show the latest version of a feature" (I'm writing this from memory so the text is approximate), you can install older versions of a plugin. To downgrade something you've already installed you may need to first disable or uninstall the 15.0.1 IDE (from "Manage Configuration", also under Help).
Thanks for the instructions!
JonPJonP

Can everyone who is experiencing this issue confirm what kind of Salesforce organization you are using?

SFHack mentioned a dev sandbox (that worked) and a production organization (that didn't).

We have been able to reproduce this behavior in a Developer Edition organization that has a local namespace declared (but you cannot declare a local namespace in a production or sandbox org) and we are in the process of implementing and testing a fix. 

But we need to know if you're seeing this problem with any other kinds of organizations than a Developer Edition organization with a local namespace.

Thanks,

Jon

Message Edited by JonP on 04-07-2009 04:16 PM
I'm developing using a sandbox on cs2.salesforce.com, and deploying to production on na2.salesforce.com.
JonPJonP
And in both your sandbox and production organizations, there are components missing from the Choose Metadata Components dialog?  Or only in one of them?
Unfortunately, I never tried to create a project using the production instance.  I was choosing metadata in the sandbox version when I noticed the issue.  I've reverted back to 15.0, so I can't try it with the production instance now.
JonPJonP

Trevor, can you open a support case too?  That will let me find your organizations in the system.

Thanks,

Jon

Done.  It's case #02569456.
tibutibu

Jon - I am having the same problem with both sandbox and productin

Thanks for help with this!

Hi there.  Any update on the status of this fix?  It's becoming an issue for me, so getting this resolved would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

SFHackSFHack
I used the instructions provided above to roll back to the previous version of the SalesForce plugin.  Everything works fine with it.
JonPJonP

We have just released version 15.0.2 of the Force.com IDE, containing the fix for the Choose Metadata Components dialog issue.  Please try it out and confirm that this resolves your problem.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks a lot, it works!  :smileyhappy:
apexsutherlandapexsutherland
I wasn't able to find the version 14 IDE on the Force.com IDE install site. Has it been removed since the release of the new version 15 IDE?
apexsutherlandapexsutherland

Jon, I'm still seeing some weird metatdata issues with v15 of the Force.com IDE.

For instance, I created a new project and selected all of the metadata for an org, but some of the custom objects were completely empty of any definitions within them (custom fields, search layouts, etc.). This kind of scared me, so i deleted the project and started over, and the second time around the object had all of the field definitions and everything else that it was supposed to.

I created another project today, and then I did a "Synchronize with Server" from the Force.com submenu, and the Synchronze dialog returned a bunch of Standard objects and profiles with no metadata from the server. Custom fields exist in those objects (and were downloaded when the project was first created), so essentially it is trying to wipe out metadata in my project that should be there.

Any insight on why these issues are occuring?