function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
huskerwendyhuskerwendy 

Workflow rule on Opportunity Product

I need to create a workflow rule based on the Opportunity Stage being closed and the product. I created a case with Salesforce and they said the only way that the workflow will trigger off of the Opportunity Product is if the product is edited. That's not the way our company currently is using opportunities. We create the opportunity along with the products and then at a later date when we close the opportunity, we don't edit the products. I can't imagine that we are the only company that does it this way. Does anyone have any other suggestions or best practices? How can I create a task when an opportunity closes based off of the product for that opportunity? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wendy

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sh-at-youseesh-at-yousee

Hi,

Your requirement has been on the top of my SF wish list for a long time. The ability to create cross-object workflows.

I think your only hope is to create an update trigger on the opportunity object and in that trigger you'd lookup the products and create your task based on the data you looked up.

Hope this helps.

/Søren Nødskov Hansen

All Answers

sh-at-youseesh-at-yousee

Hi,

Your requirement has been on the top of my SF wish list for a long time. The ability to create cross-object workflows.

I think your only hope is to create an update trigger on the opportunity object and in that trigger you'd lookup the products and create your task based on the data you looked up.

Hope this helps.

/Søren Nødskov Hansen

This was selected as the best answer
huskerwendyhuskerwendy

Thanks, Soren. I was wondering if I was just missing something or if it really isn't possible. I'm new to Salesforce so will have to learn triggers. It seems that they can solve a lot of my problems.