function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ppatppat 

Mail merge on Custom Objects

I have created 2 custom objects, Quotes and Parts. (Parts being line items for quotes). I created merge template with custom fields. But I am having parts field empty. Concept is similar to Opportunity and Opportunity Lines Items in which you can use mail merge to create document.

Already ran my scenario through support. Response is "This is not possible with mail merge".

Anybody has done this before?? What are my alternatives??

Found another thread similar to what I am trying to do.

http://forums.sforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=2848

Is there any progress from salesforce side on this?? Thread is dated back to early 2005.

Thanks

Pramod

Message Edited by ppat on 02-01-2006 10:17 AM

Gareth DaviesGareth Davies
Pramod,

We are currently development proof-of-concept testing of a mail-merge application (win32 client) that allows you to merge custom objects into a Word document, it is currently targetted at campaigns but the underlying engine can be re-purposed. We also have the technology to merge this into an email instead. Email me and let me know what you are doing, your time scales and if you are willing to do some use-case testing with us and perhaps we can help you out.

All the best
Gareth.
Ron HessRon Hess
this week we posted a new quote + quote line items app on the AppExchange, it addresses
the problem you found by copying the final approved quote line items, back onto the opportunity
as product line items there, then you can run the mail merge from the opportunity.

not sure if this would work in your case, but check it out, lots of good s-controls in that app :^)
if i do say so myself..

http://www.salesforce.com/appexchange/detail_overview.jsp?NavCode__c=MF1h&id=a0330000000ilckAAA

this is basicaly a re-write of the first quote + order package posted in early Jan, only without the order portion, and with product line items related to the quote, and discount ability on the line items.
KozikKozik
Sharing custom object fields in a mail merge would be great for me as well.  I am working on a similar application with quoting, products, opportunities and contact info fields. 
Let me know what I can do to help with testing. 

Thanks