function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
slwslw 

Lookup fields don't return record name in formulas

When accessing a field in a formula (e.g. {!Product__c}) where the field is of data type Lookup and the object is a custom object, the formula returns some kind of internal record reference (e.g 90333000000E0jt) instead of the record name value as expected.
Ron HessRon Hess
yes, that is the actual value stored in the field, the name of that object may not be available in a formula.

sounds like a feature request for a function that returns the referenced object name field.
something like:

BYNAME({!Product__c}}

which would return "Genwat 10K" ( for example)
this is not on our feature list that I know of, you may want to request this by filling out a feature request case using help&support, that should get it into our queue to review.
slwslw

Ron Hess wrote:
yes, that is the actual value stored in the field, the name of that object may not be available in a formula.

sounds like a feature request for a function that returns the referenced object name field.
something like:

BYNAME({!Product__c}}

which would return "Genwat 10K" ( for example)
this is not on our feature list that I know of, you may want to request this by filling out a feature request case using help&support, that should get it into our queue to review.

I would like to fill out a feature request case, but I can for the life of me find where to do so.
Ron HessRon Hess
login to the app
locate the
Setup•Help & Training•Logout
links at the top of the window

click on Help & training

click on Support tab

then Log a Case with type of feature request
slwslw
Currently, I have a Developer account. My Saleforce application has Setup*Help*Logout at the top of the window. Help does not contain a Support tab.

- Steve W.
Ron HessRon Hess
Oh, ok i didn't realize you were operating from a dev org.

I will file this feature request
EBezEBez
There are plans to expose fields from related objects in the formula language, using a form of dot notation. So if you want to reference product name, it would look something like this:

{!Product__c.Name}

I can't promise exactly when this will be available, but it is a high priority feature.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Bezar
Platform Product Management