function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jmalcodrayjmalcodray 

E-mail alert when someone else creates Opportunity record

Relatively new and I understand alerts but having a problem.  I want to send an e-mail to an Account owner when someone other than him/her adds an Opportunity record -- a simple courtesy e-mail to keep that owner in the loop as several sales areas may create an Opp.  So the trigger should be set when account owner is not equal to whoever created the Opportunity record.  Using this code and it is not working:  Created_By__c  <> Account.OwnerId.

Using the Opportunity object so not sure if I can get back to the Account owner (parent) of the Opportunity.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Joe Alcodray

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Id <> Account.OwnerId

Copy this as your formula, its test and approved ;-) you were close tho

All Answers

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

WorkFlow, and use "Formula Evaluates to True"

Something like Not( Id= Account.OwnerId )

I didnt test this, but this will be the best way to do it.

Pat

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Yea I tested it and the formula I provided didnt work, but it can, you just have to play with it so that the statement reads that if Opp Owner ID is not equal to the Account Owner ID, that should work.

Otherwise you can always put a check box that allows the user to check it to notify the owner, and then workflow behind it to alert the owner, however this is not automated and would require the creator to check the box.

Best of luck,

Pat

jmalcodrayjmalcodray

Thanks Pat, I appreciate your efforts and you can see the code I used in my post -- but the e-mail alert is not triggering.  With admin rights, I sign on as someone else and add a new Opportunity for one of my accounts -- I expect to be notified by the alert, but nothing happens.  Frustrated by something I am obviously doing wrong.

Any other thoughts out there??

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Id <> Account.OwnerId

Copy this as your formula, its test and approved ;-) you were close tho

This was selected as the best answer