function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Always ThinkinAlways Thinkin 

Force.com IDE Standalone Installer doesn't

I have found the standalone IDE Installer very difficulty to install. I downloaded the Windows 64-bit installer from http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation It was first claiming there was no java virtual machine installed. I reinstalled my Java, being sure to get the 64-bit for IE version and that seemed to help move further along, however when it asked to install to a location other than C:\Program Files (x86), I changed the target directory. This failed (Windows 7 is a bit overprotective of installing there) but worse, I could not change the install target back and now the installer will not execute at all. I copied the error message below.

I have installed every version of the Force.com IDE into Eclipse 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 over the last 3-4 years; I thought I would see how this new application functions since I'm always eager to explore what SFDC is up to. Sadly, the installer is too much of a nuisance to bother with. If it doesn't clear away all obstacles presented by an OS, then you really ought to include a readme.

!SESSION 2010-08-26 21:41:24.317 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_21
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-08-26 21:41:26.845
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.io.IOException: Couldn't get lock for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common\logs/installer-%g.log
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.genuitec.pulse2.client.installer.ui.application.InstallerApplication.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)

!SESSION 2010-08-26 21:41:24.317 -----------------------------------------------eclipse.buildId=unknownjava.version=1.6.0_21java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_USCommand-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-08-26 21:41:26.845!MESSAGE Application error!STACK 1java.io.IOException: Couldn't get lock for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common\logs/installer-%g.log at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source) at java.util.logging.FileHandler.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.genuitec.pulse2.client.installer.ui.application.InstallerApplication.start(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)

DarrellDDarrellD

Having trouble here with it as well. Win 64 standalone.  First time I install it hangs at 48% (supposedly).  After forced close and reopens it's essentially installed.  But then when I try to open any objects, it hangs again. Tried unistall and reinstall...no luck.

Always ThinkinAlways Thinkin

I gave up and installed Eclipse 3.5.2 and added the Force.com package to it. Hardest and longest part was waiting for the 160MB download to finish.

DarrellDDarrellD

This post seemed to have the answer that, so far, has worked for me.

http://community.salesforce.com/t5/General-Development/Force-com-IDE-Freeze/m-p/189187

Matthew KeefeMatthew Keefe
I had an issue installing the 64-bit Force.com IDE, on Windows 7, too. It came up with this error:

java.io.IOException: Couldn't get lock for C:\Program Files\Common\logs/installer-%g.log
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.(Unknown Source)
at com.genuitec.pulse2.client.installer.ui.application.InstallerApplication.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)

Eventually, I found the solution was to right-click the "Force.com IDE Installer" and select "Run As Administrator". So simple... >.<