function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lawrence-CECLawrence-CEC 

UTF-8/Unicode in Email addresses?

Any thoughts on how to handle UTF-8/Unicode characters in email addresses in Salesforce? That seems to be the one field (or one of the few fields) that doesn't allow UTF-8. I know international email addresses are still experimental but with the recent approval of international domain names (IDNs), it seems inevitable.

For now, we're thinking of just converting them to Punycode to get them down to the ascii character set and we can always convert them back to utf-8 if/when salesforce allows that.

This is primarily for Leads that are automatically pushed into Salesforce from the registration scripts on our external site. We're adding international support, so we're exploring what is needed to support users from other countries (non-english names, addresses, etc.).

And while we could restrict email addresses to ascii characters only, it seems a shame to have to limit our capabilities and our user base on the front end, just because Salesforce can't handle IDN email addresses (or, alternatively, to not push those registrations into Salesforce as Leads).

(I realize this could cause problems if people try to send email to these folks from within Salesforce, though.)

Thoughts?

---Lawrence

ic2kchad2ic2kchad2

Hi, I think I might be running into a similar problem.  We have an Email to Case custom Email Service that depends on being able to read the To Address of an incoming message to know how to route the case.  In the following image, the To: address is prefixed with string of characters, because the message was sent with UTF-8.

http://www.ic-2000.com/badtoadd.png 

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance. 

Bhupendra yadavBhupendra yadav
4 Years and still no information on the question ?
At least provide us with some workaround or any other information you have.