function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
QMEQME 

Scheduled Jobs

Background:

We are an ISV/OEM in the process of building a standalone NATIVE application embedded in force.com WITHOUT any integration into SFDC CRM objects.

Assumption:

******  The Force.com Embedded Edition for Salesforce.com Partners is based upon the Enterprise Edition Org.  *******  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  

I’m a bit confused with the information provided by SDFC regarding the Running User / User Licenses / Scheduled Jobs functionality as they pertain to an ISV/OEM.   

Scenario:

Data will be periodically loaded into a custom object (eg once per day) in our native app.  We are planning on using the Scheduled Jobs functionality (Setup -> Administration -> Monitoring -> Scheduled Jobs) for our Customers (eg. Customer 123) as part of our Combined Solution, to manipulate the data that was loaded into the custom object.  

We are trying to adhere to the functionality provided in “The Force.com Embedded Edition Distribution Term Sheet” but the Scheduled Jobs functionality is not mentioned.   

Questions:

1) Is the Scheduled Jobs functionality available for use on the Embedded Edition for SDFC ISV/OEMs?  In the APEX documentation it says the following for the APEX Scheduler: “The Apex scheduler is currently available through a limited release program. Contact salesforce.com to verify if your organization can participate in the limited release program.” 

2) If the Answer to question 1 is YES, what kind of user licenses do we (ISV/OEM) sell the users for our Customer 123?  Is it the “Salesforce Platform” user license or the “Force.com One-App” user license?  

To see the types of user licenses described in the on-line help:

https://na6.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?loc=help&target=data_monitoring_jobs.htm&section=Data  

è     click link “What is an Analytic Snapshot?” and then click the link

è     Force.com Platform or Salesforce Platform One licenses 

I’m assuming the user license for the Administrator that is provisioned is “Salesforce.”  (correct me if I’m wrong).      

Thanks for your help!! 

werewolfwerewolf

The limited release thing means that only customers who are approved to be part of the pilot can use that functionality.  As an ISV, that means that you probably don't want to use it until it goes GA, because otherwise you'll end up releasing code to your customers that they can't use.

The docs in Prerelease right now says that the scheduled jobs will go GA in Spring '10, so perhaps you want to wait for that.

QMEQME

Thanks Werewolf!!

If "Scheduled Jobs" goes GA in the Spring, then we can test our functionality out in the Developer Edition until then.

Do you have any information on the types of licenses (Question 2 listed above)?

werewolfwerewolf
AFAIK all Salesforce.com licenses (except the portal licenses) have all Apex capabilities.  You'll want to check that with your partner manager if you have one though.
shillyershillyer

Werewolf is right, Apex Scheduler will be available in the Force.com Embedded Edition after Spring '10. A good general rule, if the feature is available in Enterprise Edition, then it's most likely available in Force.com Embedded Edition, since that uses Enterprise Edition as the core.

Best,

Sati