function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
B2AB2A 

Data Migration (vlookup on excel??)

Hi I am doing some data migration and was hoping someone would have some tips on this.  The data is going from an OLD instance of Salesforce to a new one.

I have to reimport the accounts and contacts along with Activities. 

The activities, have a whatID and a whoID, however the accounts will be given new ID's in the new SF instance so I need help on how to quickly associate contacts to these new accounts, and the same for activities to accounts or contacts or could be even associated to other objects eg. Opps.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

mtbclimbermtbclimber

Please don't spam the boards. This is not an Apex question.

The API does support foreign key upsert and according to the docs a partner-wsdl based solution could leverage this feature for use with polymorphic keys. To my knowledge the standard data loader does not, however, support foreign key upsert on who/whatId fields.

Aside from leveraging a tool that supports external ID and foreign-key upsert on polymorphic keys you need a local database or otherwise leverage vlookup in excel to swap out the mapped related object IDs.  Just be sure you are getting your data from the API and not exporting reports or otherwise are using 15-digit ids as they are case sensitive and will be corrupted in the case-insensitive vlookup in excel or database depending on how your tables are configured.

B2AB2A
Sorry for the spam Andrew and thanks for the info.  Where would the most ideal forum be to list questions related to data migration?
mtbclimbermtbclimber

There really isn't one specific to data migrations. When in doubt, go to the general development board. If we create a category with more affinity to data migrations a moderator will guide you that direction.

Happy New Year,