function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
davidschargeldavidschargel 

Working with new Salesforce Knowledge and Public Knowledge Base

We bit the bullet and are using Salesforce Knowledge with the "Sample Public Knowledge Base for Salesforce Knowledge" (https://sites.secure.force.com/appexchange/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000001gFH9EAM).

So far, with a little Visualforce tweaking, it looks like we'll be able to get some GREAT control on segmented Public Knowledge Bases that run on a Force.com Site. And, unlike the sold-school Self Service Portals…there's no passwords. Woohoo!

However, there seems to be an issue with the PKB Site Setup Sample that we can't get past. It seems that even though only one Root Data Category is supported in PKB Site Setup, if an Article uses ANY other Category within another Category Group, it will not display in the Public Knowledge Base.

Does anyone have any wisdom on how can we work around this?

David

P.S. Any new Developer Accounts have Salesforce Knowledge already active. You have to open a Case to request it be activated for any other Developer Accounts.

etienne_getienne_g

David,

Behind the scene, the security still applies.

If you set the category group visibility settings of your site to "none" on one of the category group, then articles that are categorized on this category group will not appear in your PKB.

The PKB setup object allows to select one data category group on which the PKB navigation will be based on, applying extra filtering in addition to the security.

Hope that helps.

Etienne

alwysthknalwysthkn
Etienne_g, Yes, I agree. The Article titles will appear as long as no other category is set to None. In our sandbox implementation of a Public Knowledge Base site, we can see the articles titles but the Table of Contents or Tabs do not display. I even setup a brand new PKB site straight from the AppExchange and the content of articles still won't display. Any thoughts? alwysthkn
etienne.giraudyetienne.giraudy

@alwysthkn

Did you checked the field level security for your site?

By default fields are not visible in sites. you can control this from the site detail page:

1. got to Setup>App Setup>Develop>Sites
  2. click on the site label and then the public access settings button
  3. from that page you can then configure the field level security for each of your article type for this site.
Let me know if this solves your issue!
Thanks
Etienne

alwysthknalwysthkn

Yes, your answer was right on track.  I found the feature you suggested in my developer version that displays some content.  I looked for the same feature in my sandbox version.  It wasn't there until I modified the Create App settings.  Since Knowledge was purchased recently, Articles were not enabled for any Custom App in use.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

sean*harrisonsean*harrison

Like alwysthkn, I have article titles but no content detail.

I've checked the Public Access Settings and it all looks good to me: has Visible checked for all Solutions fields, Basic Access for the solutions object is Read.

Where else should I look, Etienne?

sean*harrisonsean*harrison

Found it!

after going to Public Access Settings I was looking for Field-Level Security for an object called Articles but that is not right. I need to adjust the FLS for the two Article types: FAQ and Tech Tip which were listed under Custom Field-Level Security. D'oh!

etienne.giraudyetienne.giraudy

Sean,

Yes, FLS is at the article type level, this is because each article type has its own set of fields.

Also, FLS if off by default for "external" profiles (portal users, Sites profiles) in order to prevent fields to be exposed to those users/web sites accidentally.

Etienne

Prasanta TrailheadPrasanta Trailhead
Here is a link to setup Public Knowledge base for force.com site quickly :

https://salesforceblog.tumblr.com/post/178881536553/public-knowledge-base-for-forcecom-site