function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
scottj2scottj2 

Page layouts - edit vs. detail

Hi All,

I have a need the need to make an edit page display slightly differently than the detail page, but the page layout editor does not allow this.  In this example, I have a formula field called "Full Name" that concatenates first and last name of an account, and that formula field is displayed on the Page Layout.  The problem is that, when a user clicks edit the "Full Name" field is hidden because obviously it's read only.  My problem is that I want them to be able to still edit the "First Name" and "Last Name" fields.  If I add those fields to the page layout, they're shown on the detail page...there doesn't seem to be a way to hide a field from the detail page, but show it on the edit page.  There is also no way of changing to a different page layout when the user clicks edit.

Any advice other than visualforce?  I've pretty much built visualforce pages for absolutely everything, and I want to steer clear of it in this case as it's the most basic page we have (ie. the Account page).

SAPOCSAPOC

its is not possible to hide a field in Detail page and edit it on Edit Page. only Option Visual force page.

scottj2scottj2

Thanks....man oh man am I ever sick of creating visualforce pages for the most basic of pages.