function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VDid.ax1020VDid.ax1020 

Alternative Developer Training and useful languages to learn

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone attended Salesforce.com Developer training hosted/run by 3rd party vendors?

I need to find courses equivalent to DEV 401, DEV 501 and DEV 531 and am looking all all my options

I am also considering learning XML, Java, PHP and Python in order to become a successful developer, have I missed any languages?

My background so far is that I have been an SF Administrator since 2007 and have recently done some development work. Now I am trying to learn APEX and Visualforce

Thanks in advance,

V

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
WizradWizrad

No need to learn everything at once.  As Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 10000 times."

If you've been an admin since 2007 I would assume you can do "point and click development".  That's all 401 is.  You don't need to know how to write a single line of code to pass the 401 exam.  Might wanna skip that one.

531 is intro to object oriented programming using apex.  From what I recall it doesn't really have much to do with salesforce, but if you're trying to learn to program and want to do so using Apex, it's a solid course.

501 is what you take last.  It's actually pretty difficult to pass the 501 exam and you need an indepth knowlede of Apex, Visualforce, and Salesforce to pass.

You can watch 401 and 501 for free online.  They are available if you search iTunes.  531 might be available as well.  Not sure why youd be looking for alternative courses.  Perhaps an Intro to Objected Oriented Programming class or 2 at your local community college would be worthwhile.  I feel that the best way to learn to program, is programming.  Start doing the most basic things possible System.debug('Hello World!'); and then work your way up.

All Answers

WizradWizrad

No need to learn everything at once.  As Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 10000 times."

If you've been an admin since 2007 I would assume you can do "point and click development".  That's all 401 is.  You don't need to know how to write a single line of code to pass the 401 exam.  Might wanna skip that one.

531 is intro to object oriented programming using apex.  From what I recall it doesn't really have much to do with salesforce, but if you're trying to learn to program and want to do so using Apex, it's a solid course.

501 is what you take last.  It's actually pretty difficult to pass the 501 exam and you need an indepth knowlede of Apex, Visualforce, and Salesforce to pass.

You can watch 401 and 501 for free online.  They are available if you search iTunes.  531 might be available as well.  Not sure why youd be looking for alternative courses.  Perhaps an Intro to Objected Oriented Programming class or 2 at your local community college would be worthwhile.  I feel that the best way to learn to program, is programming.  Start doing the most basic things possible System.debug('Hello World!'); and then work your way up.

This was selected as the best answer
VDid.ax1020VDid.ax1020

Hi Wizrad,

Thank you for the information. It is much appreciated.