function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zen_njzen_nj 

Is there a way to have a lookup field to Content in a custom object ?

Hi

We currently are using Workspace/Content to store our executed contracts (i.e. MSA, Amendments, NDA, etc) and we have created Content type which contain custom fields like a lookup to Account as well as Contract type picklist.  So from this we can see from our Account page the various Content (i.e. legal documents) associated with the customer.

Now we would also like to leverage our Content library so that in a new custom object "Order Request",  we want our users to be filling out a Order Request for a customer (so a lookup field to Account) and also a lookup field to Content where it essentially would return the MSA associated with that account that authorizes the order.

However, it looks like when we are creating a new lookup field, there is no option to select Content as the object to be looked up.  

Does someone have a way around this or have some best practice/alternative options on how this can be done?

I know salesforce have a standard object Contract but we haven't really been using that. And I don't really want to revamp the way the company is currently using salesforce (i.e. we require sales to upload any signed contract to Content and associate it with an account) and now tell them they need to not only do that, but also now create a Contract entry and then associate somehow that Contract entry with a Content entry (i.e. signed legal doc that was uploaded to salesforce content).

Any advice/suggestion?

IspitaIspita

Salesforce does not allow a lookup to the "Content" object and you don't want to change the current structure of your implementation too.

Keeping these things in mind the best solution would be to build a custom screen for -

filling out a Order Request for a customer (so a lookup field to Account) and also a lookup field to Content where it essentially would return the MSA associated with that account that authorizes the order.

Here you can have a lookup which will display the list of relevant  "Content" - which can be queried via apex and displayed in the custom visual force screen.

Hope this helps.

zen_njzen_nj

Is there more to your response?

Not very helpful if that's all you wrote.

zen_njzen_nj

sorry about response just now. I wasn't able to see the rest of your response somehow when I first looked at your reply via the email link.

Thanks. So your answer is to have a visual force page which will return the relevant Content files. But once we do select the right Content file, how do we actually save the relationship? The "fake" lookup field for the Content file would just store the salesforce ID of the Content file? Or it would store the name of the Content?

IspitaIspita

Ids would be the most reliable information in salesforce to bank upon.