function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sellis360sellis360 

Deploying from Dev to Sandbox before Development Complete

We're in development on our native application prior to packaging it for production.  We just requested our first Sandbox org and would like to load it with our current application so we can do internal demos and testing somewhere other than our development org.  How is this best accomplished? 

Some things to consider:

• We probably will want to do this multiple times as development progresses.
  • We may want to move data as well so we don't have to recreate test data.

On a related note, how many sandboxes can an ISV can request/have?  For instance, could we have a multiple test sandboxes, a demo sandbox, a training sandbox, etc.?

Finally, are these questions answered by any currently available documentation via developerforce.com or elsewhere?  I've searched and come up empty.

thanks!

Steve

shillyershillyer

Hi Steve,

There are various environments at your disposal when developing and testing your app. Take a look at this article to learn more.

In terms of deployment, you'll want to use the Force.com IDE or Migration Tool to move customization from your dev to test to prod org. You can use tools like Data Loader or Excel Connector to load data into these environments.

Hope that helps,

Sati

Message Edited by shillyer on 04-23-2009 10:06 AM
sellis360sellis360

Sati,

Thanks for the reply.  It was helpful but I still have questions after reading the article.  First, I've used the IDE to deploy from one environment to another.  But after doing it once, it became virtually impossible to do it again.  What's an easy way to do this repeatedly?  Also, is there a way to quickly wipe an environment clean so it is possible to deploy from another org into it?

Also, the question from my original post that was not answered was about how many sandbox orgs a partner ISV may have.

To be clear, the scenario I'm trying to support is this...  We have developed in our partner development org.  Now we are ready for our testers to test what we have built so far but we are not ready for production.  So we'd like to deploy our current version to another "test" org now, then again each week or so until we complete development.  It's the repeating of this process that seems to be the catch.

Thanks again for your continued help.

Steve