function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
asokolicasokolic 

cross object formula help

i'm trying to refrence an oppotunity field in a cross object formula on the account object and just need to know what name to use to refrence the oppotunity object... as i've tried Opportunity & Opportunities and both come back as invalid names when followed by ".field name"

any thoughts would be apprecaited.

adam

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

Hi Adam,

Cross-object formula fields allow you to display parent data on the child, not the other way around. You would need to create a lookup field to the Account on the Opportunity to achieve this.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf

i'm trying to refrence an oppotunity field in a cross object formula on the account object

Unless you've defined a lookup relationship on Account that points to an Opportunity, it doesn't work that way.  Opportunity is a child of Account, so one Account can point to many Opportunities.  Given that that's the case, how would the formula know which Opportunity to pick when it's getting the data from that field?

If you want to summarize the child Opportunities (say, get a sum of the amounts of all open Opportunities), try creating a Roll Up Summary Field on Account instead.

shillyershillyer

Hi Adam,

Cross-object formula fields allow you to display parent data on the child, not the other way around. You would need to create a lookup field to the Account on the Opportunity to achieve this.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
dash27dash27

So there's no way to show the total worth of all opportunities related to an account on the account's page?