function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rumblerrumbler 

Longevity of Report/Dashboard unique names

From my own testing it appears that a unique name given to a dashboard or report cannot be reused even after the dashboard or report has been deleted and the recycle bin emptied.  Does anyone know if this is intentional or a bug?

If intentional, how is one supposed to programmatically determine whether a unique name is in use?  listMetadata only returns reports/dashboards that have not been deleted.  Without this information it makes it more difficult and complex to programatically create dashboard/reports using the metadata API.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
rumblerrumbler

For future reference.  I heard back from support on this.  It is a known issue that dashboard and report names cannot be immediately reused after being deleted.  I asked how long it takes before one can reuse a name and here is the response from support:

"Unfortunately, there is no specified amount of time.  This is based on your system refreshing.  It could be a matter of minutes, it could also take an entire day." 

George 

All Answers

rumblerrumbler

The next day I am now able to recreate reports/dashboards using a unique name that I deleted the previous day.  So it seems there is a background batch process salesforce is using to purge unused names.

It would be useful to know how often that process runs.  Anyone from salesforce care to comment?

Thanks,

George

rumblerrumbler

For future reference.  I heard back from support on this.  It is a known issue that dashboard and report names cannot be immediately reused after being deleted.  I asked how long it takes before one can reuse a name and here is the response from support:

"Unfortunately, there is no specified amount of time.  This is based on your system refreshing.  It could be a matter of minutes, it could also take an entire day." 

George 

This was selected as the best answer