function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
iCloudiusiCloudius 

Modifying the Default Sort Order for Contact Related Lists

I'm trying to get the Contacts Related List on the Account Detail Page to display records in ascending order by Last Name.  When I click the "Contact Name" field and select "Ascending" in the Page Layout editor, the Contacts sort by First Name.  For example, "Aaron Zimmerman" would show at the very top of the Contact List instead of at the bottom.  This isn't very helpful for our users and makes finding duplicate difficult.

I am aware that I can add a "Last Name" field and sort by that, but this seems redundant since the Contact Name is already there (and cannot be removed).

How can I get these records to sort alphabetically by Last Name without adding the "Last Name" field to the Related List?

On a related note, does anyone know the default sort order for Contacts in SFDC?  It appears to group them by Created Date in our org.  Help & Training didn't specify - it only stated that each related list has a different default sort order.

Thanks for any ideas...

lwarzylwarzy
I'm having the same issue trying to figure this one out... Did you ever find a solution for the Contacts Related List sort issue? Pro edition is driving me nuts with these little nuisances. :smileysad: Thanks. - Lw
iCloudiusiCloudius

I eventually had to open a ticket with Salesforce to get this resolved. 

There is a way to modify this in the Page Layouts, but the change I was trying to implement wasn't working due to a bug.  

So if you can't modify it the way you want by modifying the page layouts / related list section, you could be having the same problem I was.

tomc1227tomc1227

+1 on this problem.  It seems ridiculous that we can't sort the Contacts related list by last name, which is how just about every list of names in the world is sorted...

MichaelInOZMichaelInOZ

I have had the same request - to sort by Last Name.

SF support responded that the sort by the concatenated value 'Contact Name' was hard-wired.

I have worked around this by adding the Last Name field as another column to the Contact related List in the Account Page Layout; then sorting by that field.

Not pretty - but it works and resolves my users problems.