function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TenaTena 

Web Service vs Visualforce Controller

I am new to Salesforce development.  I was asked to provide a way for data to be passed to Salesforce from an outside source.  My first thought was to use the Web service functionality but then I watched one of the Developer courses and the instructor said not to use a Web service but to create a Visualforce page with a controller.  What is the best method?  I will not be creating the gui that the users will enter the information into.  Any other best practice tips would be great.

Tena

goabhigogoabhigo

I think you need to understand the concept of visualforce pages and web services.

For your requirement web services suits better. You can also think of force.com sites. Visualforce will not help if you want data to be passed from outside source. Suggest you to read the docs.

TenaTena

I was thinking web services was the way to go until I watched the one developer class, then I thought maybe there was another way that I don't know about.  Reading docs are great but I find that for Salesforce it is very scattered and not the best when I want to get other peoples experiences and real life practices.  Thanks for your reply.