function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
salesforce1#salesforce1# 

Inbound webservice and outbound webservice?

Hi

I am new about salesforce development.

I want a difference between inbound webservice and oubound webservice with an small example.

Thanks&Regards

Balu

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AmitSahuAmitSahu

Inbound webservice is something which salesforce org will consume. There could be webservices published by some other 3rd party tool. You can import that webservice and salesforce can use that to call methods from 3rd party tool.

Oubound Webservice is something that you publish from salesforce org and 3rd party tools consume it to get data/ record from your salesforce org.

I hope this was a bit clear..

All Answers

AmitSahuAmitSahu

Inbound webservice is something which salesforce org will consume. There could be webservices published by some other 3rd party tool. You can import that webservice and salesforce can use that to call methods from 3rd party tool.

Oubound Webservice is something that you publish from salesforce org and 3rd party tools consume it to get data/ record from your salesforce org.

I hope this was a bit clear..

This was selected as the best answer
salesforce1#salesforce1#
Hi Thanks for your information. Regards
SYED MOOSA NAZIR T NSYED MOOSA NAZIR T N
Hi, Thanks for the explanations. But I am getting confused when I see the Salesforce Documentations. Below is the Document Link.
https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Integrating_with_the_Force.com_Platform

From this document, I understand the Followings.
Salesforce Inbound Web Service: Create the Apex Code and Expose the Apex code as WSDL to the 3rd Party. They will consume our codes and will perform the Business Logics from 3rd Party system.
Salesforce Outbound Web Service: 3rd Party will provide the WSDL, Consume the WSDL in Salesforce and generate the Ape code from it. Invoke the webservice methods and do the Business operation in 3rd party system from Salesforce system.

Please let me know, if I am wrong. 
Thanks
Syed Moosa Nazir TN
shashi s 16shashi s 16
@AmitSahu @Admin As per the official technical library: https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Integrating_with_the_Force.com_Platform 
It is crystal clear as per the technical library that when Salesforce consumes external web services it's outbound w.r.t Salesforce and when Salesforce exposes webservices through SOAP/ REST it's Inbound.

Bhupendra Jain 1Bhupendra Jain 1
In integration, two (or more) systems need to talk to each other. One system (Say, System-A) publishes/exposes the web-services (SOAP/REST/Others), and other system (System-B) calls the publisher (System-A) to consume the exposed web service.

The system (A) where Web Service resides will get called by other system (B), that's why it's a call-in or inbound call for the (A) system.
Whereas, the system (B) which calls other system's Web Services, will be call-Out to that system. Thus, it will be outbound call for the calling system (B).

Inbound / Call-In:

When Salesforce exposes SOAP/REST web service(s), and any external / third party system wants to consume them, it needs to call-in to Salesforce. Thus, it's an Inbound call to Salesforce (but outbound call to the external system).
Here, Salesforce is the Publisher and external system is the consumer of web services.

Outbound / Call-Out:
When Salesforce wants to consume external web services (any third-party SOAP/REST web service), a call needs to send to the external system. It's an outbound call w.r.t Salesforce (but inbound call to the external system).
Here, external system is the publisher of web services and Salesforce is the consumer.
Richard de BlooisRichard de Bloois
Hi All,

Are there any step-by-step manuals of how to create Outbound / Call Outs in Salesforce to get Third-Party by REST API?