function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Paul Wilkins.ax1025Paul Wilkins.ax1025 

Force.com IDE Removing comments in meta data

Hello,

We have recently move from a PC based office to a mac based office so have ditched Eclipse for the force.com ide.   We have been having issues in our release procedure since this change over.   In some of our metadata files (Mainly objects and workflows) we had commented out certain things so they do not over write themselves.   Mainly on work flows where the user name for an email is environment spcific so it can't be pushed through a uat environment into a prod environment.   We also commented out list views.   We would just change them in prod and they would copy down when we refreshed the dev and uat environments.

In Eclipse this was fine.   But in Force.com ide the comments are removed.   Also if I remove the outboundmessage tag in the meta data the ide puts it back in again.   In the past we have been able to delete things like this from ecplise and a release won't delete these items in the environment.  

Is this a feature of the force.com ide or is this how it should work.   I know in theory I should not be referencing user names/email addresses in meta data it should be a group so it moves through the environments using the same name.

Do I have to change these workflows etc  to reference a group and not a user/email address or is there a setting in the force.com ide to stop the ide doing this?

Thanks for your time.

Paul Wilkins