function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ksherryksherry 

Any risk with using a custom address record rather than out-of-box (leads/accounts/contacts)?

Folks,

I noticed on the address fields both country/state data are text fields - this applies to lead/account and contact objects. This is concerning given the various permuations a user could enter in when filling out this information.

In an effort to ensure some level of data accuracy I've had to add custom fields for country and states as pick list.

Of course what ultimately ends up happening is a new custom address record is developed: address 1, address 2, state, country, zip code, etc.

Have others taken a simliar approach or just decided to do periodic periodic data cleanup. Any danger with creating my own custom address record.

Cheers,
Keith

jeffstuitjeffstuit
We don't use any of salesforce's standard address fields -  we made all of them custom, so we could retain data compatability with our old CRM system.  We haven't had any problems with this transition.  It creates a bit more work setting up page layouts, web-to-lead forms, etc., but once we got trough the initial set-up period, it's been problem free.

jeff
ksherryksherry
Thanks for the quick reply. Comforting to know that others have taken a smiliar approach.

Cheers,
Keith