function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Peter UchytilPeter Uchytil 

Set Record Type on Convert

I guess I'm not understanding Record Types. I want to use them to customize the page layout based on different types of Leads. One Lead may be for reseller recruitment and another for selling product to an end-user. During Lead creation the Record Type is set. Once that Lead is converted to an Opportunity, it seems like I should be able to map the Lead Record Type to the Opportunity Record Type, but I can't.

This has my users very frustrated. They don't even want to use the Lead Record Type because they have to manually adjust the Opportunity Record Type every time.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to map the Record Type from a Lead to an Opportunity (for the purposes of customizing the page layout). If it isn't possible, is this the kind of thing that can be addressed through an s-control?

Thanks!

Pete

hemmhemm
To my knowledge, you cannot automatically map the Lead Record Type to the Opportunity Record Type.  You could have an S-Control on the Opportunity page update the record type based upon the lead it was converted from.  When a lead is converted, it populates a field called ConvertedOpportunityId on the Lead record with the ID of the Opportunity that was created.  When clicked, the s-control would look for leads with a ConvertedOpportunityId equal to the Opportunity ID the s-control was clicked from.  Once found, it could lookup that Lead's record type and look for an Opportunity record type with a matching name and populate that onto the Opportunity.

I am not sure of the best way to force your users to click that s-control custom link.  It'll most likely need to just be a training issue.