function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
thomastthomast 

Use Apex editor for VF .email files in the Eclipse IDE?

Is there any way to configure Eclipse to use the Apex editor with all its syntax highlighting, code-assist and -folding goodness, when editing Visualforce email templates? 

Thanks!

--

Thomas Taylor

Director of IT

Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance

cloudcodercloudcoder
You should be able to associate the .email extension with whichever language syntax highlighting you need through the properties dialog. Lmk if you need more info here - I'm responding in transit.
thomastthomast

I thought I'd figured it out - I did Window > Preferences > General > Editor > File Associations. I added the Apex Code Editor and made it the default, but it still says "locked by 'email' content type" next to text editor:

This makes it so that the Apex logo icon appears on .email files, but I still get the plain text editor when I open them:

I tried the same thing, but using the Force.com HTML-based Editor, but then I get an "Unsupported content type in editor" error, with a link to the Content Types Preference Page. In the Content Types Preference page, all the extensions are locked, and I can't change them:

So it seems like the only way is to maybe hack some XML file somewhere that drives all this, but I certainly have no idea where to find that file. Any further guidance, if you have it, would be appreciated.