function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dietcoladietcola 

how to order the execution of two field updates

Hello, folks-

I have two field updates in a workflow rule that I need to execute in a certain order (Field Update A, then Field Update B) in order for them to be useful.  Is this possible?

I'm open to creating two separate workflow rules with one field update in each if it's possible/easier to make them execute in a certain order that way rather than within the same rule.

Many thanks in advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf

There is not presently any way to control the order in which field updates occur (unless you make one or both of them time-triggered).  Immediate actions can be said to execute in parallel -- they are not necessarily sequential -- so there may not even be an order.

If you really need an order then you could do your updates from an Apex trigger instead.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf

There is not presently any way to control the order in which field updates occur (unless you make one or both of them time-triggered).  Immediate actions can be said to execute in parallel -- they are not necessarily sequential -- so there may not even be an order.

If you really need an order then you could do your updates from an Apex trigger instead.

This was selected as the best answer
dietcoladietcola
Yes, was afraid of that.  =)  All right, thank you for confirming!
diegocanaldiegocanal

I found out that field updates follow an order, which is the creation order of themselves.  I have tested it with up to five field updates in the same WFR, that had to follow an strict order, and worked OK. 

This trick just works with the creation order and not with the modification order so, you have to plan the order of execution before you create them or, delete and create again the field updates that must be executed later than the others.

I have used this technique with different WFRs with different sets of field updates and it has worked fine always.  I hope it has not been a coincidence and works for everyone.