function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
newbie102newbie102 

Accounts / Contacts etc in FREE force.com edition

The free edition does not provide CRM objects.

But what prevents me from copying (manually, field by field) the definitiions of these objects from

a DE account to a free account ?

Apart from that, there may be other related things like pages / layouts and even apex code that I am not aware of,

that adds the "CRM" functionality.

But is it not then possible to copy all this over, one by one ??

So I am curious what may prevent this, so that I can better understnad what makes the CRM application

/ Standard objects so "special"

Is it that there is simply a lot of Apex code that is not visible to a developer ?

Is ti workflows / reports ??

As you can guess, I am very new to this platform, but have some very basic Siebel / CRM experience.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
dkadordkador

You can't copy standard objects completely.  You can copy customizations to those standard objects.  And you're free to try and recreate standard object functionality with custom objects.  We've put in a lot of work to our CRM application - we're not going to give all our secrets away. :)

All Answers

dkadordkador

You can't copy standard objects completely.  You can copy customizations to those standard objects.  And you're free to try and recreate standard object functionality with custom objects.  We've put in a lot of work to our CRM application - we're not going to give all our secrets away. :)

This was selected as the best answer
newbie102newbie102

Thanks.

But all I wanted to know was if its "technically" possible or not :-)

i.e  How "open" is the platform /

Was the CRM app built 100% on top of the platform...

This is alread stated in many places.. but was it built using the same tools available to 3rd parties,

or is there some functionality what is "hidden"

A good example is :- On Mobile devices that offer API's on occasions, manufactures open 90% of the platform.

So some cool things that the end user sees in native apps, cannot be re-created by 3rd part developers.

What percent does SFDC open ? (Hope its 100%)