function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SumitVSumitV 

Force.com IDE: Cannot fetch metadata file (.app) for application

Hi,

I created an app (MyDemoApp) with some classes, triggers, VisualForce and Google Visualization directly from the browser (i.e. without using the Force.com IDE).  Then, I installed the Force.com IDE on my Mac, and created a Force.com Project.  Next, I had the IDE connect to my Force.com account to download all the metadata components for my application.  I opted to fetch all the components.  Force.com IDE does its thing, and after a while it finishes without any errors.  However, when I go look in my project under src/applications, the metadata file for my application, MyDemoApp.app, is missing.  The file doesn't show up even if I do a "Refresh from Server" on src/applications, src or the entire project.  If I look in package.xml, I see MyDemoApp in the CustomApplications section.  The wierd thing is that the only other app that I have (Force.com) shows up fine i.e. Force_com.app is present in src/applications.  If I change any files (e.g. an Apex Class) and compile it, I get no errors and my changes are reflected in the test org.

I don't know if this is related, but when I do a "Refresh from Server", I get the following Warning message:

"Refresh error: Cannot retrieve documents in a user's private folder; move the document to a named folder".

Removing the Force.com app, not selecting it as a component to be fetched, restarting the IDE, etc. doesn't help.  MyDemoApp.app just doesn't show up.  I want to put all my files in SVN, and therefore, want to download the .app file as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sumit

HarryHHHarryHH

Hello SumitV,

I'am facing the same problems and posted them here. But until now I did not get an answer. Now I saw that you posted the same problems last year with no answers. Did you find a solution or workaround for that on your own?

Thanks

Harry

sumitvakilsumitvakil

Hi HarryHH,

Unfortunately I did not get any answers.

I actually stopped using the Force.com IDE.  Instead, I moved to Komodo.  And I use ant to deploy / retrieve code to / from my org.  With ant, I haven't run into any issues with retrieving the .app flie.

Regards,

Sumit

DovaDova

"Refresh error: Cannot retrieve documents in a user's private folder; move the document to a named folder" - Can it be possible that your app link to a document in "My Personal Documents"-folder.

Rafal GalazkiewiczRafal Galazkiewicz
@Dova you got this! I have followed your hint in here and this was it! I found that app I have a problem with has a logo and this logo is located in a users' private folder. I have replaced logo to default Salesforce logo and it was already enough. Great we fixed it. Hope it is useful for some more people later on down the road.

Thanks a lot again!