function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Praetorian65Praetorian65 

Outbound message timeouts

Is there a way to increase the timeout on an outbound message? I have an outbound message that generates product data on an external database but with a large amount of products this takes time. If the webservice times out it causes the data to be generated again. This is very very bad.

I could return immediately and process asynchronously but this defeats the object of outbound messaging. Just because the webservice is active it doesn't mean it will succeed.

aalbertaalbert

Not sure I follow. Are you using callouts (ie web services invoked from Apex) or Outbound Messaging (a workflow rule sends a SOAP message to an endpoint)? I ask because those are different technologies. I could be wrong, but from your explanation, it sounds more like a callout since you are talking about time-outs. Can you please clarify? 

Praetorian65Praetorian65

Outbound messaging. Outbound messages timeout just the same as a regular apex webservice callout, only in outbound messaging I don't appear to be able to extend the timeout period.

The timeout makes the outbound messaging system "thinks" the outbound message has failed and so it attempts to send it again when really the original message is still processing on my server.

Message Edited by Praetorian65 on 05-14-2009 09:18 AM
SuperfellSuperfell
You can't change the timeout, if you have a long processing action for a message, then you should use a local transactional queue to buffer the messages.