function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pluviosillapluviosilla 

How do I import SCHEMA information (without the Setup menu)?

I have quite a few legacy Excel spreadsheets each of which has a large number of columns. If I have to use the Setup Menu to create objects with that many fields it will be a VERY TIME-CONSUMING process.

Is there no way to import an entire table schema programmatically without having to first define the schema in the Salesforce database using the Setup menu?

Is there nothing similar to an .sql script file like that available in MySQL that allows one to generate a schema programmatically?

Is there some way to directly edit meta data in Eclipse and GENERATE NEW OBJECTS in the Salesforce database?

Help!!

John (pluviosilla@gmail.com)

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SuperfellSuperfell

Yes there is, the force.com eclipse plugin will allow you to edit your salesforce.com schema in a set of xml files and push them back to salesforce to create your schema.

All Answers

SuperfellSuperfell

Yes there is, the force.com eclipse plugin will allow you to edit your salesforce.com schema in a set of xml files and push them back to salesforce to create your schema.

This was selected as the best answer
cvuyyurucvuyyuru

As of Simon,

The only way to get Salesforce Schema to my knowledge is through Froce.com IDE plugin.

pluviosillapluviosilla

Thanks!! What a relief!

How do I do it? For instance, do I just create a new .object file and put it in the src / objects directory? Where can I find documentation on how to do this?

John (pluviosilla@gmail.com)

pluviosillapluviosilla

O.k., folks. I just figured out how to do this in Eclipse:

(1.) Right click on objccts folder | Select New | Custom Object

(2.) View some other object's fields to use as a template using Open in | Text Editor (not XML editor)

(3.) Carefully copy and paste field XML data

(4.) Right click on object | Force.com | Deploy to Server

This little routine would be obvious to a developer who has deployed code to the server. It wasn't to me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!