function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RIChrisRIChris 

Lookup Search Fields on Custom Objects

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to add additional search fields that are queried by a lookup referencing a custom object? On standard objects I can see the lookup search fields are very much bespoke to the object (e.g. Contract Name and Contract Number are queried for the Contract object). Is it possible to customise a custom object in this way or will it only ever search the 'Name' field?

I have created a custom object with a Name and Description field, when a user clicks the lookup to this object from an Opportunity they will want to search on the ID or on certain words within the description.

I have tried enabling Enhanced Lookups but that doesn't seem to affect the Lookup search field itself.

Any Ideas?

Chris.

Josephadm401Josephadm401

I believe what you are looking for is a master detail relationship. This will allow you to pull any information from the parent object into the child object. To do this go to the object that you wish to make the child and create a new field (field type = master detail) then set up the parent object. From here you can create multiple fields that will reference the parent object and you can then create cross objec formulas to simplify your process if you wish. Hopefully this helps, although let me know if it doesn't and you need more information.

RIChrisRIChris

Hi Josephadm401,

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think this is what I'm looking for. As I understand it master detail relationships are for mapping 'child' objects to an individual master object record e.g. Invoice Lines to Invoices. The object I have created is effectively a list of choosable values similar to a picklist but the list itself is not directly mapped to any individual opportunity. There are far too many options available for a picklist so this list of options needs to be searchable (hence the lookup). The compexity is the user will need to search multiple fields (Name and Description). The only workaround I have been able to find at this stage is to go back to the main search function on the home tab and choose 'advanced search' for the custom object.

Many Thanks,

Chris.