function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
elossoelosso 

How can I track inventory with numerous products?

I have created numerous products in the Product object, however, all of these products draw from the same inventory. 

Basically I sell Ad Space (that's the true product)

However the products I defined in the Product object are the numerous monthly subscriptions to this adspace --> we sell 3 month, 6 month, and 9 month subscriptions. I created numerous Monthly Subscription Products to handle the revenue schedules. 

Where can I define inventory? Should I create a separate inventory object?

Thank you for any help!

Rise AnalyticsRise Analytics

This is a bit tricky since the Product object can't be a detail or a master (Salesforce oddity). So, this means you won't be able to use roll-up summary functionality to natively calculate a running total of inventory. If you haven't gone too far down the path with the Product object, you might be better served creating 2 custom objects: Ad Spaces (master) and Subscriptions (detail).

If you do that, each Ad Space can have multiple subscriptions and you can have Salesforce automatically calculate quantity/revenue with roll-up summary fields.

An alternative would be creating an Apex trigger that updates your custom "Inventory" field each time a product is created/edited/deleted. 

elossoelosso

Hmm the two custom objects sounds interesting. Would I be able to add Revenue Scheduling to a custom object though?