function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cschizcschiz 

Approvals requiring more information

I would like to modify an existing approval process so that instead of rejecting the approval, the approver could request more information from the original submitter.  My thought was that the request could be assigned back to the original submitter with comments indicating missing information.   After the missing information is completed, the original submitter could then resubmit the request.

Is this possible under the native approval functionality or should I write something custom?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
PaqsPaqs

Thanks for the clarification on your question, i thought you meant the comment itself on the approval / rejection... In that case, no, not directly, but, you could accomplish something similar by doing this (which is a tad more complicated and additional work):

OPTION A:

- Create a multi-user approval workflow where the target AND you are approvers

- Add a custom field of type checkbox on the target object (and not visible in the layout) of the workflow called something like "Need more information"

- On the approval criteria, check the value of this field so that it can only be approved rejected if both your and the target user's status are approved AND that this Need more information field is not checked.

This way, you have a one time, need more info support scheme.

OPTION B:

You could also (altough more complicated) add in the mix an inbound email service listener that would be added to the to list / email alerts from the workflow / approval process and capture the Need more info in the first approval process and spawn off other approval processes back and forth for the more infos required....

Bottom line, there is a way to accomplish something similar but it could be a good idea to submit this as an idea to Salesforce for an interim status between approval / rejection. I would suggest submitting this to the Ideas.

Hope this helps and did not make this more complicated for you (wish there was just a "yes" answer)

Cheers,

All Answers

PaqsPaqs

That is part of the available actions of the standard Workflow & Approval.

cschizcschiz

Is there a way for the approver to request more information from the original submitter without rejecting the approval?

PaqsPaqs

Thanks for the clarification on your question, i thought you meant the comment itself on the approval / rejection... In that case, no, not directly, but, you could accomplish something similar by doing this (which is a tad more complicated and additional work):

OPTION A:

- Create a multi-user approval workflow where the target AND you are approvers

- Add a custom field of type checkbox on the target object (and not visible in the layout) of the workflow called something like "Need more information"

- On the approval criteria, check the value of this field so that it can only be approved rejected if both your and the target user's status are approved AND that this Need more information field is not checked.

This way, you have a one time, need more info support scheme.

OPTION B:

You could also (altough more complicated) add in the mix an inbound email service listener that would be added to the to list / email alerts from the workflow / approval process and capture the Need more info in the first approval process and spawn off other approval processes back and forth for the more infos required....

Bottom line, there is a way to accomplish something similar but it could be a good idea to submit this as an idea to Salesforce for an interim status between approval / rejection. I would suggest submitting this to the Ideas.

Hope this helps and did not make this more complicated for you (wish there was just a "yes" answer)

Cheers,

This was selected as the best answer
cschizcschiz

Thanks for your reply.

Linda HillLinda Hill
Are there any additional features on this?  I'm not clear on how to do Option A.   I'd like for any case owner to be able to provide additional information and for one que to be able to let them know we need additional information.