function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bobmalonebobmalone 

Including "Current Date" Field in Email Template

I thought this should be fairly straightforward, but I can't figure out how to do it.  How do you get the current date inserted into a merge field in an Email template?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf
Hm.  Interesting question, I thought there was a special merge field for that but I can't find it either.  I guess you can just make a formula field on your object that says TODAY() and use that formula field as your merge field.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
Hm.  Interesting question, I thought there was a special merge field for that but I can't find it either.  I guess you can just make a formula field on your object that says TODAY() and use that formula field as your merge field.
This was selected as the best answer
otivbotivb

I realize this may come late, but at least it will save someone from creating a formula - you can simply use one of the date functions with the "!" prefix and curly brackets in the template: e.g.,  {!Today}

StatzStatz

This thread is almost three years old, but I would also like to know if anybody can tell me how to insert the current date, but add on three days.  For instance {!Today} works perfect in an email template for inserting the current date.  Is there a function that can add three days after  the current date (June 14,2013)  and instead say June 17,2013 (adding three days)?

Thanks!

dwilson1.3879181769511326E12dwilson1.3879181769511326E12
{!TODAY() +3}

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/Content/pages_variables_functions.htm
Justyna PotiopaJustyna Potiopa
The formula  {!Today} worked for me and it shows today date in the format dd/mm/yyyy. Is there a way of editing this formula so the format of the date is  d.month.yyyy i.e. 7 June 2018. Thank you 
Nat DavisNat Davis
You have the related date functions available provided you start with {! and end with }.  This means if you want to put the current date in you simply put {today()} as Alex Maier stated above.  You can find standard functions here: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customize_functions.htm&type=5.  I think you used to be able to see a $global or $System object you could pick from, but no longer see that. in the templates.
Maria WallaceMaria Wallace
This doesn't work for me.  When I try to add {!Today} I get an error message that "This email template has two kinds of merge fields.  Remove or replace merge fields in the format {!object.field}, such as {!Contact.FirstName}.  Use the merge field picker to insert merge fields with the format {{{object.field}}}.   I have some merge fields in the template which inserted with the "insert merge field" function such as contact name and sender name.  But there is no field to merge for today's date.
Robert Wambold 10Robert Wambold 10

I believe the format you want is: {!Today()} ?

However, when I try to use {!Today()} in my CustomEmail Template it gets rendered as {!Today()}.

Maria WallaceMaria Wallace
Thank you!  I'll try that!
Ernesto PuigErnesto Puig

I was able to use the today in the body of my email. When I tried to put it into the subject line and save the template I was given an error.

This template doesn’t support SML merge fields. Use the merge field picker to replace merge fields starting with "{!".: Subject

Chee QiChee Qi
Same here, i wasn't able to use the {!Today} formula. It suggests that This template doesn't support SML merge field. Anyone has a resolution to this? Many thanks.
kav Mkav M
I too got the similar error message "This template doesn't support SML merge field", any solution for this ? Thank you!