function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FaridKognozFaridKognoz 

API Access from Group Edition

I've been searching for a way to access the API on a salesforce account but found on this article that is not possible:

If you want to publish your composite or client app to AppExchange, you can request during the Security Review a clientID that you can include in your SOAP headers, allowing you API access to Professional Edition customers. [..]

Note: Group Edition does not allow API support even with the use of a partner clientID.

On the other hand I've tested an application from Appirio that connects the google cloud with salesforce, and it is able to create contacts from an external application on a group edition that doesn't have API access. How is this possible? Do they have special permissions? Or I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Farid

shillyershillyer

They are most likely using Apex Web Services. You can package your Apex Code, so it will run in PE/GE (request apex authorization during the Security Review) and these classes can invoke an external web service and use the response to populate data in the org.

Best,

Sati

FaridKognozFaridKognoz

Thanks for the quick response shillyer. If I understand correctly you are saying that they use apex code to make external callouts right?

The thing is that if I go to the debug logs and use the application for sync contacts, the contacts are synched but there is no debug log. But in the user page, login history I've found that an external application log's on my salesforce account when contacts are synched. What do you think about this? Is it correct to asume that there is no apex code running, just API access to get info and create contacts? If that's correct how can they have API access on a group edition? I really don't get it.

Thanks in advance;

Farid