function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rDr4g0nrDr4g0n 

How is the salesforce web interface able to get properties that I do not have access to?

Hey guys, I am new to developerforce, so I hope I'm not asking something that is really obvious or in the wrong forum or something like that...

So,  here's the situation. I do not have full access to the Account object in our salesforce install. When I try to query it using Flex, it it returns just 3 Accounts, though I know there are thousands in there. The web interface, on the other hand, is able to list the Account.Name with no probs (though clicking on it gives an access denied error). I need the Name because an Id is pretty useless to the end user :)

So I guess my main question is how is the web interface is able to get Account.Name? Is this something I can leverage in some way in order to obtain the Name property for my own app?

Thanks in advance!

werewolfwerewolf
Well, have you checked the field level security on Account?  Have you tried the same query with Apex Explorer or the Force.com IDE?  What's the sharing model on Account?
rDr4g0nrDr4g0n

I am not setup as a developer for this salesforce install as it is part of a very large organization, and it takes forever to get stuff like this cleared. For this reason, I don't know about the sharing model and security settings.

I have nearly finished developing a UI using Air with permissions that my account has, but this one piece is something I can't seem to get solved.

The reason I feel like there is a way to do it without adding new permissions to my User account is that when I log into salesforce via web browser and view our custom work orders, the account name is shown on the order. My salesforce user account doesnt have access to the Account.Name field, yet I am able to see it in the web browser. If i could use whatever method is being used here to get access to the account name, in my own flex application, then that would solve my problem.

Nick34536345Nick34536345

I'm guessing you are referring to a lookup field which points to Account? This is one case where you might have access to the account name through the web interface (as the name is the link), without actually having permission to view the specific account record.

rDr4g0nrDr4g0n

Right. The work order we use has one field that contains the account Id (which i am currently using in my Air app, but an Id is not very useful to the end user), and another that is the lookup field that returns the entire account. As it appears in the web interface, the lookup field is a link that is named after Account.Name . On mouseover or click I get the "insufficient privileges" error since my group does not have access to the Account object. BUT, how is the web interface able to look up the account name? Is there some dummy account the web interface uses that has those priviledge? Is this something I can leverage in any way from my Air application?

I'm just getting kinda desperate since I've been waiting about a month to get access to that one field granted to our group, but stuff like this has to go through so many people, and it seems like there might be a way around it as the web interface seems to prove.

Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully you can shed some light on it.

rDr4g0nrDr4g0n

Though I am still curious as to how salesforce accomplishes this, I have been given access to Accounts, so the problem is effectively solved.

Thanks!