function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JoannaAtMaritzJoannaAtMaritz 

Email Template Folders and Workflow

Currently we have all of our e-mail templates in the standard unfiled public email templates folder.  However, we want to organize this better so that not all users have access to modify all of the email templates.

We want to create a new folder "Workflow and Approval Templates" and have its public folder access setting to Read/Write and have it set to "This folder is accessible only by the following users:" Group: System Administrators.  That way only the Sys Admins would be able to modify the templates used in our workflow and approval processes.

But, we want to make sure that moving our e-mail templates used in our workflow and approval processes to this new folder won't break our existing workflow and approval processes.  I had entered a case to Salesforce premier support, but their response was very unclear.  They said "After speaking with teir 2 support, I was advised that this will not break the  WFR /Approvals as long as templates are kept in public folders. Users must have access to the  folders."

I don't really understand what users must have access to the folders in order for the workflows to still work.  Can anyone advise me?  I'd like to set up some tests in our sandbox, but I want to make sure that the tests are really valid.  Why would every Salesforce user have to have access to the e-mail templates in order for e-mail alerts to still be able to access the templates for the workflow?  As a developer, I can't understand why that would be the case.  I would go back to Salesforce premier support, but I'm doubting their accuracy regarding this case.

werewolfwerewolf

I'm not certain but I would guess that the users would have to have at least Read access to the templates, because when a workflow fires, it fires on behalf of the running user. 

It seems like it would be easy enough to test this, no?  Just make a template that a user can't see, than login as that user and do something that fires the workflow and sends the email.  Either it will work or it won't.