function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DoodDood 

How to migrate objects/fields from Sandbox to Production/Live Instance

I have created all the custom objects,fields ,page layouts etc on Sandbox instance. Now, how do I migrate them to the actual live instance. Is there any migration tool to do the same or do I need to re-create all these on Live manually ?

Please explain the process!

Thanks

SapamrmSapamrm

You can make a copy from live environnement to test environnement (sandbox), but I thought it was not possible to do it the other way around. So I'm afraid you have to re-create all the custom fields, page-layouts in your live environnement.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one..

JonPJonP

Dood,

There are a variety of tools/technologies for migrating changes from a sandbox to production (or vice versa, or to another sandbox):

1. Cloud Deploy (Beta) - Under Setup | Deploy, you can easily construct "change sets" containing components to copy between your sandbox and production organizations.  This is the simplest, most approachable option.

2. Force.com IDE - Our developer plugin for the open source Eclipse IDE lets you download your configuration and code as text/XML files.  The "Deploy to Server" feature lets you upload these files to another organization, using the Metadata API.

3. Force.com Migration Tool - This library for the Apache Ant build scripting tool lets you retrieve and deploy components using the Metadata API from within an Ant script.

4.  Metadata API - If you're so inclined, you could always write a custom SOAP client for the Metadata API, or purchase onel written by a third party (such as DreamFactory SnapShot).  The Metadata API is available in Enterprise Edition, Unlimited Edition, Free Force.com Edition, and Developer Edition; but not in Professional Edition. 

I recommend you check out the following document to better understand how to use these features in conjunction with Sandbox.  (It was published before Cloud Deploy was released, so it does not discuss the use of change sets.)

https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_development_lifecycle.pdf 

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager