function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cunninjacunninja 

Question on Triggering a Workflow

I have two date fields that I'm trying to reference in a workflow to send out an e-mail alert. One date field - "Pricing Completed" - will be filled in when a task is completed. The other date field "Pricing Due Date" is a due date field filled in when the case is created. I want the workflow to trigger if "Pricing Completed" field is null and Today() is 2 days past the "Pricing Due Date". Basically alerting someone if they've missed their due date by 2 days. Is it possible to get this to trigger without someone editing the case - just the date changing to the next day? Thanks!

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Probably what you are trying to achieve can be done by combination of 2 workflow rules.

1. You can have time dependant workflow which fires a field update action on Due Date + 2  And

2. This field update will set a field (for ex. send mail) to say ture if Pricing Completed is null and to false is Pricing Completed is not null.

3. We can have another workflow on the update of the record which is if finds that send mail field is true it will send an email to the concerned person.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

cunninjacunninja

Thanks for the response, Ispita. That sounds like it might work. I'll play around with it today, but two questions.

I don't work with time-based workflows much...if i set the first rule criteria to (Case: Pricing Complete = null) and the time dependent workflow action to (2 days after Case: Pricing Due Date)...will that just evaluate the rule 2 days after the "pricing due date" if "Pricing Complete" is still null - even without anything being edited on the case?

Second question: This sounds like once i set it up, it will be a workflow firing off another workflow. My understanding was it is not possible to fire a workflow off another workflow. Am i wrong on that? Thanks for your help.

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Depends the criteria you selecting for triggering the workflow, if it is on create that is how it will behave but it is on create and edit then it will evaluate as per edited value. also it is DML (update) which will trigger the workflow.

cunninjacunninja

Sorry, not sure what you mean by DML?  Thanks.