function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nitesurfernitesurfer 

I have an issue with an alternative to Picklists

I have an issue with an alternative to Picklists.  Does anyone know why when I point to a custom object via a relationship custom field, the lookup only show records I own?   If you happen to know the name of another reference and use the wilcard it will show, but if you just have a blank search it does not return everything.  Any clues?

An example -- when querying thru the API you can see I have 8 records:

IdName
1a0580000005y0X3AAIPractice Template
2a0580000005xlqVAAQCRM Implementation
3a0580000005xlqWAAQWeb Design
4a0580000005xlqXAAQIntegration Project
5a0580000005xlqYAAQNew ERP Rollout
6a0580000005xlqZAAQBus Plan-Sales Logix
7a0580000005xlqaAAANew ERP Rollout 2
8a0580000005y0XIAAYHourly Template

However when I press the thumbtack and the Pop-up comes up I can only see six.

SFDC Relationship link

Note that Hourly and Practice are missing from the list.

These two will show up if you enter a portion of their names with the wildcard to the Search Filter like below,

or 

How do I get it to return everything?

David

werewolfwerewolf

The lookup dialog is showing some objects that you recently viewed, not necessarily things that you own.

You might try turning on Enhanced Lookups and Autocomplete for that object.  Then you can eschew the lookup dialog altogether.

nitesurfernitesurfer

Okay, I tweaked out the custom object in several ways --

1. I did the Setup | Customize | Search. and set the enhanced search ( not really sure that did all that much ) and the AutoComplete on for that object.

List still only shows recently viewed items, and the AuotComplete will only complete for Items you have recently viewed.

2. Added fields to the lookup layout - nice but does not help in the least.

The point : How is a salesrep supposed to point to a correct value if the list does not even clue him in on all that is available?

Would I be better off with the lookup popping up a visualforce page?

David

werewolfwerewolf
That UI is a search UI.  It's not intended to show you all the options that are available.
wesnoltewesnolte

If the page you're using a purely visualforce I would do away with the lookup field completely and replace it with an <apex:selectList> tag. The lookup dialogues are confusing and slow down the entire process. With a selectList you can create a 'Picklist' which is more or less univerally understood by users and can contain values dictated by any logic you choose.

Cheers,

Wes