function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sundalesundale 

Free Force.com app custom object linked to Account

I know that the free Force.com license does not allow access to standard objects (e.g., Account). 

But would something like this work:  A custom object named Inventory has a look-up relationship on standard object Account.  A new App includes only the Inventory object, and is mapped to a Profile and User with a free force.com license. 

I've tried this, but when I log in to my free Developer account as the force.com user, I don't see an App Menu, nor do I see an Inventory Tab, even though the Profile includes appropriate access and visibility setting for the App and the Tab.  I'm trying to figure out if I've got something sideways in the configuration, or if the combination of lookup Account relationship with a free force.com user is what's blocking visibility.

Any ideas will be most welcome.

sundalesundale

I think I figured this out:

1)  Custom objects in "Development" state are only visible to Users with "Customize Application" Profile privilages.  In the free Developer account, that's only users with the System Administrator Profile.  So, the custom objects became visible to users with the Free Force.com license once they were marked as Deployed.

2)  An app including the Account object will not show the Account tab or any lookup Account fields in custom objects to a free force.com licensed user.  All other custom objects (< 10) will show without modification to the app. 

3)  An app including the Account object will show both the Account Tab and lookup Account fields in custom objects to a salesforce platform licensed user.

The trick was simply recognizing the impact of custom object's Deployment Status on object visibility, which makes perfect sense in hindsight, which is, of course, always 20/20 :smileyhappy:  And the platform silently enforces the object visibility rules without forcing any app change, so one app will work just fine across all 3 license types, but with varying object visibility.