function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
General DevelopementGeneral Developement 

Email Notification

I am wanting to create an email notification for when someone makes a case owner change.  The email alert however would need to look like it was coming from the person who was previous case owner.  The salesforce rep I was working with was not familiar with formulas and recommended that I try here.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

BA_AdminBA_Admin

You can do this by workflow rule on case

I work at Zillow.com.  Is anyone able to call me about this at 206-515-8282?

Thanks,

I tried this and it is not working

*werewolf**werewolf*

You just need to create a workflow rule with formula criteria that says

ISCHANGED(OwnerId)

And the workflow has to be set to run whenever a case is created or edited.

On that workflow, add an email alert and set it to send the email to the case owner (which will be the new case owner).  The email will appear to be from whoever reassigned the case, so if the former owner was the one reassigning it, then that's who the email will come from.

I tried that and it is not working.  Please call me at 206-229-8431

It gives me an error.

*werewolf**werewolf*
And what is the error?

When I change the case owner it gives me the error and doesn't allow me to make the change.  The formula requires me to put an error message?  Is there a reason someone can't call me about this.  

*werewolf**werewolf*

I think you may be misunderstanding what these boards are.  This is an open Internet forum, just like Zillow's own discussion boards.  The vast majority of the people on this board do not work for Salesforce.com, including myself, and in general if you post a direct email address or phone number, the only people who will call you are those who are looking for some contract work (and if you're looking for that, there is a Jobs Board for Administrators here as well).  You probably wouldn't post your phone number on Zillow's boards (unless you're a realtor looking to drum up business) -- the same applies here.

Additionally, it is to everyone's benefit to keep the information on these boards so that if someone in the future has this same issue, they might find the solution just by Googling it.

Now, to your question: the workflow rule generally will not prevent you from changing the owner.  Workflow more or less fires after the change is done, it does not throw errors. 

What exactly is the error that you're getting?  Do you perhaps have a validation rule on Case that is preventing you from changing the owner?  Unlike workflow, validation rules *do* act before the save and so they can throw errors.

I apologize, I was told by the rep to try the discussion board thinking it would be employees answering the questions.  The reason I posted a phone number was so that I can work with someone to get this resolved because the things you are telling me to do are not working.  Thank you and I will try and different way.

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well keep posting here, I suspect a resolution is just a couple of posts away, and frankly it'll probably be faster this way.

So:

1.  What is the error you're getting on trying to change the case owner, and

2.  Do you have any validation rules on Case?

I did have a validation rule which was causing the error.  I created the workflow rule, but I don't see where I would put the formula.

*werewolf**werewolf*

In the workflow rule, there's a picklist next to the text "Run this rule if the following" -- change it to "formula evaluates to true."  That's where you can put the ISCHANGED formula.

marioluisscmarioluissc

You don't need support. You need Training.

*werewolf**werewolf*
Well there's no need to flame, it was a legitimate misunderstanding and he has a legitimate question.

Thanks werewolf!  I will give it a try.  

Yes I do need more training and I am continuing to do that.  It was nice of you to point that out though.