function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gringoesegringoese 

Renaming a Standard Field

Is there any way to rename a standard field? For example if I wanted to give the Activity Task field "Subject" a different name. Previous forum question seem to talk about changing the tab names via "Tab Names and Labels" but that's not what I'm looking for.

BA_AdminBA_Admin

You cannot rename that field, i guess u have to create a custom one and replace that inplace of standard field

gringoesegringoese

I'm fine with making a custom field to replace it, but the problem in going that route is Salesforce won't even let me hide standard fields in the layout and so I would have 2 fields that are the same. This post talks about using a workflow field update to make the custom field set the value of the standard field (because Salesforce needs the standard field) but I still don't have any way to hide the standard field.

I guess my next question is, how can I hide a standard field?   

BA_AdminBA_Admin

There are some standard fields in sf where u cannot hide it from users, i guess replacing the page with VF would be the solution but thats little complex for this task

gringoesegringoese

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming it. Salesforce, you can be frustrating sometimes :)

raseshtcsraseshtcs

You can rename the standard field names from App Setup--> Tab Names and Labels--> Rename Tabs and Labels--> Click edit besides the Activities--> Click Next--> Change the label of the Subject to what ever you need.

gringoesegringoese

raseshtcs, you didn't read my original post. That's not what I'm trying to do. 

jabajaba

can any one help to rename the standard field....

raseshtcsraseshtcs

You can rename the standard field names from App Setup--> Tab Names and Labels--> Rename Tabs and Labels--> Click edit besides the Activities--> Click Next--> Change the label of the Subject to what ever you need. This should help you.

Zakir HossainZakir Hossain
standard field lebels can change but not field name which is good enough... 
Joshua Carritt-BakerJoshua Carritt-Baker
i don't think the original poster followed the instructions from raseshtcs as the 2nd step allows you to rename the labels of those standard fields - you have to chose the tab, click next and then you get to the label rename page
Puja Maheshwari 2Puja Maheshwari 2
@raseshtcs Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
ShabneezShabneez
@raseshtcs Thanks !!  Your solution worked fine for me.