function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Marion.ax518Marion.ax518 

Automated task

Hi - I'm not quite sure what is involved, so I don't know where to put this. I know it's possible, but I don't know what I need to learn about to achieve it, or if I need to find someone to do it for me.

I have four customized objects:

object1 = Company

Object2 = people (children of the Company table via lookup)

Object3 = distributions (children of the Company table via lookup)

Object4 = junction of Object3 + Object4

Let's say we have 2 company records: CompanyMen and CompanyWomen

Let's say Tom, **bleep** and Harry are in CompanyMen

Let's say Susan, Jane, Margaret and Barbara are in CompanyWomen

Object3 looks like:

Distribution#1,CompanyMen

Distribution#2,CompanyMen

Distribution#3,CompanyWomen

Distribution#4,CompanyMen

Each time I add a record to Object3, I want the appropriate number of new records to automatically appear in Object 4.  For example, based on the records shown for Object 4, I should have the following in Object4:

Dist1,Tom

Dist1,**bleep**

Dist1,Harry

Dist2,Tom

Dist2,**bleep**

Dist2,Harry

Dist3,Susan

Dist3,Jane

Dist3,Margaret

Dist3,Barbara

Dist4,Tom

Dist4,**bleep**
Dist4,Harry

What do I need to learn to achieve this? 

Or what is it that I'm asking to have done and how long should I expect it to take?

Thank you!

Marion

MATTYBMEMATTYBME

I am afraid that will have to be done using Code; Apex Classes and Apex Triggers. Your best bet would be to get someone who has experience with SF Development to help you out.

For clarification purposes Object 4 is a junction between 3 and 4 or 2 and 3? The junction works via lookup, as you know, and lookup is acheived manually unless you place some triggers to insert records in an object based on records being manually inserted in another object.The idea of the trigger is to create the desired automation you are looking for.

Message Edited by MATTYBME on 06-29-2009 05:44 AM
Marion.ax518Marion.ax518
Hi Matt - Sorry about my sloppy typo, which made it difficult to follow

Ojbect 4 is the junction of Object2 and Object 3

OK - I will go about finding someone who knows code, using Apex Classes and Apex Triggers.

That was the key thing I needed to know- it's difficult to find someone to solve a problem if I don't know what skills the person needs to know!

Are you able to say, in broad terms, if we're talking about a job that would take 4 weeks, 1 week or 1 day ? (assuming the person knows code!)
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
If it is a matter of simply taking information from one object and having an associated record created in another object I would say this a day or so piece of work.