function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Marion.ax518Marion.ax518 

Limitation of 5 object references

how are you guys working around this limitation???

I have 2 customized objects, which need a many-to-many relationship, so I created a 3rd object as a junction.

But, in order to utilize the info in the source objects, I need to create formulas within the 3rd object, to retrieve the pertinent info.

And, the limitation of 5 references has me up against the wall!!!

What is the work-around?
Thanks
Marion
wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

Can you post the code you're having trouble with please.

Wes 

Marion.ax518Marion.ax518
Hey Wes -
I don't know what could you're talking about!

I am trying to create formula fields in Object C, to grab info from ObjectA and ObjectB, and I get error messages.

Where would I access the code that might be helpful to you?

Marion
MATTYBMEMATTYBME

@wesnolte @marion is not using code here just standard formula fields to populate information into an objects record.

@marion you may need to get a little more detailed with what you are experiencing so someone can assist you further. Paste the Formulas you have to-date and describe the limitations you are having.

Marion.ax518Marion.ax518

@mattbyme - thanks for chiming in

I wrote out the details for you here, and, doing so makes me want to go back and try again,
I was trying to build the most expanded version of what I need.
I'm going to try to build the simplest version of what I need, instead, and see if that works.
If it does, I'll expand until or if I run into trouble
If it does not work, I'll be back.

Thank you!

Marion.ax518Marion.ax518
Hi
I tried again, keeping things real simple, so that I could be sure it isn't just a bad formula.
And I hit the wall
I did a screen capture, but there's no way to attach it to this message, so here goes...

My formulas are nothing complicated at this point - I am simply retrieving the contents from fields in related objects, so I can include the values in my lists.

My List Layouts only permit me to choose from fields that in the selected Object; if I want to show a value from a related object, as I understand it, I need to first create a formula field to retrieve the contents of that field.

For example:
ObjectA: People
Field: Function (investor, producer, other)
Field: Rate
Field: Value
Field: Referring Party
Field: Foreign Entity
Field: type (company or individual)
Field: Payee (lookup to another object)

ObjectB: Distribution
Field: Amount
Field: Date
Field: Share to Investors
Field: Share to Producers
Field: Share to Other

ObjectC: Junction
Field: ObjectA.People
Field: ObjectB.Distribution

For ObjectC lists, I need to be able to access numerous fields in ObjectA and ObjectB

ObjectC is to create the junction for a many-to-many relationship.
How can I access the information from my source objects??? Even without creating any formulas, just simply using formulas to retrieve the info - I can only retrieve 5 tidbits of info..... that is a pittance... The junction is useless to me if I cannot see the info that is being joined... is there a workaround that I'm not seeing?

Message Edited by Marion on 06-29-2009 08:41 AM
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
I will play around with the information provided and see what the limitations are. Bear with me.
MATTYBMEMATTYBME

There is a general rule that explains the issue that you are having. Here is a screenshot of the problem:

Here is the rule:

"For all of the formulas related to an object (formula fields, validation rules workflow rules, assignment rules, etc.), there is a limit of 5 unique relationships for cross-object merge fields. You can reference any number of merge fields across one relationship (i.e.., from Contact you can reference as many Account fields as you want), but if you try to reference a merge field across a 6th relationship, then you will be blocked from saving that formula."

This can be found here and in the help section of your Salesforce Instance under the help doc title "Tips on Building Formulas"

Unfortunately not a very good explanation I know. There is a Salesforce Product Manager who seems fairly passionate about increasing the limit and may even be willing to work with you on an individual basis in regards to this. Check out this Salesforce Idea.

He explicitly says,"I agree that the workarounds for this are more resource-intensive than adding more spanning formulas. I have recently relaxed my stance on increasing this limit on a customer-by-customer basis and I am working on increasing the default limit, but need to confirm that the performance impacts will not adversely affect our customers. Please call salesforce.com customer support if you are hitting this limit, giving them your detailed use case, and they will route that request to me for approval."

Marion.ax518Marion.ax518
Thanks Matt

For the time being, I have backtracked and am exploring having a desktop application built in Filemaker, with the idea of transitioning to a hosted version later.

Marion
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
Sorry that Salesforce wasn't the best solution for you at this time.