function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
StrangeRoutinesStrangeRoutines 

Changing default metadata values in IDE

(I am posting this here as I couldn't find a board for just the IDE)

When you create a new "Apex Component" with the IDE, it puts in this awful, long default value for the description that starts out "This is a generic template for Apex Component."  and then runs on and on. I know you can edit the metadata for the component you are creating, but is there a way to change the default value to something else (like maybe a blank) so I don't have to edit it for each new component I create?

NBlasgenNBlasgen

You sure you have the most recent install of Eclipse?  So I've never had this issue.  Makes me feel you're going through some wizzard to create your pages and not just doing it the simple way.

So I find the 'src' directory and right click, go to New, pick the type I want to use, a wizzard does come up asking for the name.  At the bottom it asks for "Template" and I have "Default" selected.  And I get an almost blank class.  In the case of a component (and the same is true for VF pages) I get a small amount of extra text.

Sadly, I don't know an easy way to modify the template but I'm sure it exists out there.

StrangeRoutinesStrangeRoutines

I'm running whatever you get when you install the standalone IDE. I'm not an eclipse user (although I know what it is) so rather than installing both Eclipse and the IDE, I used the "Windows Installer (32-bit)" link on this page:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation

For the creation of a component, I would assume a wizard is indeed being invoked. The description value is on the metadata tab (not the source tab) and is not presented as part of the creation dialog. Why the process/information it is not provided in the same manner as the main force.com page is beyond me.

Thanks for the feedback though. What it sounds like is that there are VAST differences between the standalone version and the Eclipse plugin version, which is a little scary. I guess when I get a chance, I'll rip out the standalone version and try the full Eclipse and plugin version.