function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bnewmanbnewman 

Benefits of Content Pack vs Workspace

We just rolled out the Content App in salesforce.  I was wondering if anyone had best practices around when to use a content pack vs creating a workspace.

From what I gather, both are collections of documents, but content packs can belong to workspaces.

Is the only benefit of workspaces the security aspect?  So I can restrict access to content by putting it into a workspace?

Am I better off in the long run doing that?

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

Thanks

SherriASherriA

We're in the process of rolling out Content and really looking forward to it.  

I'm advising our stakeholders not to think of the Workspaces as folders/buckets of information, but to just think in terms of permissions when they talk about workspaces, so they determine who can view, who can contribute and what kind of types are available.  I don't want to create/maintain multiple workspaces with the same permissions, just different subject matter.  I'm going to really stress tagging, effective searching and filtering to our users in an effort to have them not START with a workspace when looking for appropriate content.  

Content packs, for us, are a way for marketing and/or senior sales professionals (for example) to say "Hey, these pieces work well together" and bundle them so that users don't have to individually select each piece, possibly missing something that could be really helpful and/or including something that doesn't quite fit.  We're hoping to leverage the experience of some of our users by having them create a series of content packs for various situations - new product release, first customer contact about a particular product, full product line integration, etc - and let the newer or less experienced users benefit from it.