function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MrBungleMrBungle 

Need to find a solution to Asset lookup on Cases

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm asking this question in the proper group. 

Goal: We need to report on assets attached to cases. This gives us info on what products our support department is getting calls on. The asset field needs to be mandatory. 

Problem: There is a bug (or intentional functionality) that prevents our techs from choosing an asset on a case after the contact has been chosen. After the contact has been chosen the Asset lookup popup is blank. This is a major disruption in the call workflow because the first information gathered is the contact’s name. The next step is to get the Account name. After the Account is chosen then we ask for the Asset causing the problem. Because of issue the Asset field cannot be made mandatory and 99% of our cases have blank asset fields.

Solution: I’m hoping that I can populate an apex:selectList with assets belonging to the selected Account on the Case.  Is this possible and if so, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
*werewolf**werewolf*

That is what I suspected.  Look under that checkbox, where it says "Asset Lookup - Limit to assets with:".  What's checked there?  Based on your original post, I suspect that you have "Same contact on the case" checked.  If your assets aren't actually related to individual contacts then this will cause the Assets lookup to show nothing once the contact is selected on Case -- this sounds like the symptom you're referring to.

I'd suggest you either turn off all the checkboxes here for the Asset Lookup, or maybe just turn on the one that says "Same account on the case."  This will broaden the scope of assets that that lookup window can consider.

All Answers

*werewolf**werewolf*

There may be a very simple solution to this.  First question: have you turned on Entitlement Management?

MrBungleMrBungle

Thanks for your response!

I went to:

Setup | Customize | Entitlement Management | Settings and the Enable Entitlement Management is checked.

*werewolf**werewolf*

That is what I suspected.  Look under that checkbox, where it says "Asset Lookup - Limit to assets with:".  What's checked there?  Based on your original post, I suspect that you have "Same contact on the case" checked.  If your assets aren't actually related to individual contacts then this will cause the Assets lookup to show nothing once the contact is selected on Case -- this sounds like the symptom you're referring to.

I'd suggest you either turn off all the checkboxes here for the Asset Lookup, or maybe just turn on the one that says "Same account on the case."  This will broaden the scope of assets that that lookup window can consider.

This was selected as the best answer
MrBungleMrBungle

Thank you very much werewolf! You solved this issue. None of the checkboxes under "Asset Lookup - Limit to assets with:" were checked. When I checked the "Same account on the case", I was able to select an asset with a contact selected.

BTW, I don't think we are even using the Entitlement Management feature. I suspect the thrid party company that set us up with SalesForce checked it off thinking we would use it. Do you think that we should just uncheck "Enable Entitlement Management"?

Thanks a million for your help! This was a huge issue for us.

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well actually it's probably helping you now, because it's scoping the Assets lookup.  Without that scoping, the Assets lookup would show all assets for everyone, which, if you're a heavy user of Assets, can be a bit unmanageable.  So you probably want to leave it on.

You might want to explore its capabilities actually -- it's really quite powerful, especially Entitlement Processes.  They're like time-based workflow on crack.

MrBungleMrBungle

Yeah, I tested unchecking "Enable Entitlement Management" and I saw that it definitely needs to be checked. I will take your advise and explore the capabilities. Thanks again for all your time and help.

Lisa12345Lisa12345

Is there any way to handle this without Entitlement Management?  My org does not have the Service Cloud license.  I have added a filtered lookup to have the Asset Account ID match the Case Account ID--it works fine when I create a case from the Account.  I click the spyglass next to asset, and the assets appear.  If I create the case from a Contact and click the asset lookup, nothing appears--I have to search.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

*werewolf**werewolf*

I think that lookup only filters like that when Entitlements are turned on; not sure there's any workaround for that.