function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MshossMshoss 

First time SalesForce user

I just got hiered for a comoany the useds sales force and im wondering how to do a few things can some one point me in the right directiom

ill show you an examle 

- Close Case:
   - Remove 'Submit to public solutions'?
   - Add to Status dropdown: Abandoned
   - Remove 'Case Reason' from the layout
   - Change Case Type to Single-Select
   - Make Case Type required
   - Remove 'Test' as an option in Case Type
   - Remove Type from the layout

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
*werewolf**werewolf*
- Close Case:
I don't think you can.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Status field (not the Edit link but the field name itself), and add the picklist value in the ensuing page.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Close Case page layout, and drag the Case Reason field off it.
The standard Type field is single select.  Why not just use that?
If you must use your own Case Type custom field for some reason, go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Edit link next to the Case Type custom field, and press the Change Field Type button.  Note that by doing this you may lose data.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Case page layout (note that there could be more than one such page layout so you'd have to edit them all), mouse over the Type field, click the little wrench icon that appears, and check the Required box.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Type field (not the Edit link but the field name itself), and remove the picklist value in the ensuing page.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Case page layout, and drag the Type field off it.

All Answers

*werewolf**werewolf*
- Close Case:
I don't think you can.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Status field (not the Edit link but the field name itself), and add the picklist value in the ensuing page.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Close Case page layout, and drag the Case Reason field off it.
The standard Type field is single select.  Why not just use that?
If you must use your own Case Type custom field for some reason, go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Edit link next to the Case Type custom field, and press the Change Field Type button.  Note that by doing this you may lose data.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Case page layout (note that there could be more than one such page layout so you'd have to edit them all), mouse over the Type field, click the little wrench icon that appears, and check the Required box.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Type field (not the Edit link but the field name itself), and remove the picklist value in the ensuing page.
Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Case page layout, and drag the Type field off it.
This was selected as the best answer
MshossMshoss

AMAZING!!

Honestly, i'm a co-op student and my boss gave me a list of things to work out if you want to help me that would be amazing

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well if you have questions, post them on this board and the people here will help you.

MshossMshoss

- Change Case Owner:
   - New "Assign Case" button?
   - Ability to change Status and add a Required Comment
   - Change wording:  Send Notification Email -> Send Notification Email to new
 Owner
   - New Checkbox:  Send Notification Email to Contact
 ? - Can we have a drop-down with all the people we can reassign to, 
 instead of having to search? 

- Change Case Owner:   - New "Assign Case" button?   - Ability to change Status and add a Required Comment   - Change wording:  Send Notification Email -> Send Notification Email to new Owner   - New Checkbox:  Send Notification Email to Contact ? - Can we have a drop-down with all the people we can reassign to,  instead of having to search? 

MshossMshoss

Please Ignore the double post in that one some thing funky went on it should just say 

- Change Case Owner:
   - Change wording:  Send Notification Email -> Send Notification Email to new Owner
   - Can we have a drop-down with all the people we can reassign to, 
 instead of having to search? 

*werewolf**werewolf*

You should probably post ongoing questions into a new thread so that the rest of the community answers too -- as it stands people will see this thread as having been solved so they won't read it or post to it.

To your questions:

Assign case to who?  The Change Owner link pretty much does that.

You can change the Status field just as I laid out in my prior comment: Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Fields, click on the Status field (not the Edit link but the field name itself), and add the picklist value in the ensuing page.

To add a required comment, add a new custom field, probably of type Long Text if it's going to be a reasonably long comment field.  Go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, edit the Case page layout (note that there could be more than one such page layout so you'd have to edit them all), mouse over your new field, click the little wrench icon that appears, and check the Required box.

- Change wording:  Send Notification Email -> Send Notification Email to new Owner

You can't change that.

That already exists at the bottom of the Case Edit page, unless somebody hid it.  To check, go to Setup | Customize | Cases | Page Layouts, and click the button at the top that says "Layout Properties."  The checkbox about Email Notification refers to the contact email checkbox.

- Can we have a drop-down with all the people we can reassign to,  instead of having to search?

You sort of can but not really.  You can make a picklist field that has people's names in it.  You can't make it autopopulate with items; that is, if you add a user (say you hire somebody new), this list won't automatically be updated.  You'd have to go in there and change this field.  And you'd have to make a workflow rule or Apex trigger that would sync your picklist customer field to the owner field.  It's not that hard, but it's something you'd have to do.  Maybe that's a good challenge for you.