function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
lunchbox_sussexlunchbox_sussex 

Lookup Search Fields and custom objects

Why is it that you can only search on the 'Name 'field of custom objects when performing a search via a lookup button? I want to be able to search on other fields in my custom objec

Would be interested to hear from others who have overcome the same issue.

EIE50EIE50

Hi there,

Navigate to your custom object detail page, and scroll down to spot search layouts section. Here you edit the search layouts to include the fields that you want to search.

Thanks.

lunchbox_sussexlunchbox_sussex

Hi

Unfortunately that doesn't change the fields that are searched via a look up button. I've had a look in the help files online and it seems to say that when using a 'lookup' button, the only field that is searched is the Name field.

Surely this can't be right?

Thanks for your advice.

Rich PRich P

If you enable Enhanced Search for your custom object (Customize | Search Settings), you will then see "Lookup Filter Fields" on the custom object detail page under "Search Layouts". Select the fields that you want to search on, then a "Show Filters | Hide Filters" link will appear on the Lookup Popup page which will allow you to filter by the selected fields.

md1md1
Rich P's answer above helped me after 4 years of his posting when I was a bit lost not having done this for some time and the docs still not very clear about it. Someone needs to mark this is as resolved.
Victor DevelopperVictor Developper
If you want not only to search all fields in a record, but also display all available records for a lookup search, check the below complete solution:
http://www.salesforce-me.com/how-to-show-all-available-records-in-a-lookup-search/